5 tips for healthy breastfeeding
March 4 2019·
March 4 2019·
Are you expecting? Are you breastfeeding?
Here are 5 tips to stay healthy while breastfeeding put together for you:
- WATER!!! – it might seem like a no-brainer but trust me, people tend to forget to drink water when there’s so much going on with a newborn. While women are constantly reminded to drink water during pregnancy, it’s even more important to stay hydrated while breastfeeding – think about this little cutie sucking lots of fluid out of your body. Water is critical to sustain milk supply as well!
- Sleep – sleep is critical to a woman’s hormonal balance and hormones are critical for milk production. While it’s tempting to pull out your cell phone and swipe through social media while your baby is sleeping, try to resist and get some rest/sleep instead. You might be surprised how things get easier when you get more sleep!
- Vitamins/nutrition – breastfeeding takes A LOT out of you. Think about all the nutrition a baby gets from breastmilk. It’s all coming from YOU! Make sure you get enough nutrition for both you and your baby by eating a balanced diet. If it’s hard, continuing to take the prenatal vitamins you were taking during pregnancy is a good start.
- Calories/food – I know you want to get back your pre-pregnancy body asap, but your body is working really hard to provide for your baby. Take it slow on cutting back food/calorie while breastfeeding. Your body will thank you by producing more milk for your baby and staying healthier for the long run.
- BE HAPPY! – yup! Your body produces more milk when you are happy and does the opposite when you are under stress or anger. Listen to music you love, watch a fun TV show, or look at cute baby photos – whatever makes you happy while breastfeeding.
Bottomline: Take good care of YOURSELF so you can take good care of your baby. 😊